Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Carbon monoxide is invisible, has no taste or smell and kills


For your safety it is advisable to fit a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm in your home to alert you to the presence carbon monoxide which is poisonous. CO is invisible and has no smell or taste, so you might not realise it is there. Standard smoke alarms do not detect carbon monoxide. Symptoms are headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, loss of consciousness. If you suspect CO poisoning:


  • Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house.
  • See a doctor immediately.
  • Call the Gas Emergency Helpline.
  • Get a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances


Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Gas Safe Register recommends the use of audible carbon monoxide alarms so it will wake you up if you are asleep, or you may not be aware of early CO symptoms until it is too late.


Fit an alarm in each room with a gas appliance. Always follow the alarm manufacturer’s instructions on siting, testing and replacing the alarm. CO alarms usually have a battery life of up to 5 years.


The CO alarm should be marked to EN 50291 and also have the British Standards’ Kite mark or another European approval organisation’s mark on it.


Where can I get a Carbon Monoxide Alarm?

Carbon monoxide alarms can be Supplied and fitted by TMD to comply with new laws. Ask your Gas Safe registered engineer if you are not sure which alarm to buy or how to fit it – your engineer will be able to advise you.


A carbon monoxide alarm is no substitute for correct installation and servicing of your gas appliances. Make sure you get your gas appliances checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer every year.