Gas appliances should be checked every year
All of your gas appliances (gas boiler, gas cooker and gas fire) should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. If they are not there is the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning – do you have a carbon monoxide alarm?
What is a gas safety check?
A Gas Safe registered engineer will check your gas appliance is working correctly including:
- Gas appliances are on the right setting and burning correctly with the correct operating pressure
- Harmful gases are being removed safely to the air outside
- That ventilation routes are clear and working properly
- All the safety devices are working
The check will identify any defects which require remedial work. You should have a gas safety check every year.
Landlord’s gas safety check
Landlords are required by Law to have gas appliances safety checked every year.
What if my engineer identifies a problem with my gas appliance?
Where a gas appliance or pipework has been installed in an unsafe way, or is operating unsafely and the engineer cannot rectify the situation immediately, they will follow the guidance outlined in the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure (GIUSP) to make the installation safe. The guidance provides ‘best practice’ advice to Gas Safe registered engineers on how they should deal with various gas safety concerns which may affect your safety.
- Gas Safe Register’s factsheet to help you understand the procedure that engineers use to assess the safety of your gas appliance.
What is a gas appliance service?
A gas safety check is limited to just that. A gas appliance service will consist of a full check and maintenance service of a gas appliance. The engineer will assess the physical condition of the appliance, installation pipework, air vents and any flues for deterioration. They will carry out performance tests and take any necessary remedial action.
Appliances should be serviced regularly in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions. Servicing your gas appliances regularly will make sure they are safe to use, maintain fuel efficiency and performance.
What are the signs that your gas appliance needs servicing?
Gas appliances should be serviced regularly but if you notice any of the warning signs below you should arrange for a Gas Safe registered engineer to service your appliance as soon as possible:
- Your gas appliance is not working properly
- Flames are lazy yellow instead of a crisp blue
- You can see black marks or stains on or around your gas appliances
- The pilot light keeps going out
- There is increased condensation in the room
Need your gas appliances serviced – call Now On 01202 460470