Gas Safety Information for Landlords

Gas Safety Information for Landlords

As a landlord you have legal responsibilities to your tenants when it comes to gas safety.


As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. Rental accommodation to which this applies includes:


  • residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
  • rooms let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
  • Rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.


Your responsibilities as the landlord

Landlords must be able to provide their tenants with an up-to-date Gas Safety record and must have all gas appliances serviced regularly, normally once a year by a Gas Safe registered engineer.


If you let a property equipped with gas appliances you have three main responsibilities:


  • Maintenance:
    pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Gas safety checks:
    a 12 monthly gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance and flue.
  • Gas safety record:
    a record of the annual gas safety check must be provided to your tenant within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years.


If a tenant has their own gas appliance that you have not provided, then you are responsible for the maintenance of the gas pipework but not for the actual appliance.


You should also make sure your tenants know where to turn off the gas and what to do in the event of a gas emergency.


Access to property to meet gas safety requirements


The contract with your tenant should allow you access for any maintenance or safety check work to be carried out. You have to take ‘all reasonable steps’ to ensure this work is carried out. This may involve giving written notice to your tenant requesting access. Keep a record of any action, in case your tenant refuses access and you have to demonstrate what steps you have taken.


The landlord’s gas safety record includes:

  • description and location of each appliance and flue checked
  • name, registration number and signature of the  engineer who carried out the check
  • date on which the appliance and flue was checked
  • the address of the property at which the appliance  and flue is installed
  • the name and address of the landlord (or agent where  appropriate)
  • any defect identified and any action required or  taken to fix it
  • Confirmation of the results of operational safety checks carried out on the appliances.


What if I’m only renting my property for a short period of time?

Even if a property is only rented for a short period of time, perhaps only a week as a holiday home, you are still a landlord and have specific duties for gas safety.